my etsy shop

Monday, September 17, 2012

Potato Soup

 Fall is in the air, and what better lunch than a hot bowl of Potato Soup.  I love soup, the homemade kind that is.  My Mom was an awesome cook.  I remember the days when the house smelled of deliciousness.   When my Mom cooked, she cooked by taste and smell.  No recipes for her.  I tend to cook the same way.  No recipes....unless of course it is baked goods, then recipes I surely need.  I thought I would share with you the recipe of this delicious soup.  A dear friend of mine gave me a recipe years ago, and I have modified it.  This recipe serves 4 (large bowls).

1  Very large baking potato (peeled, washed and cubed in bite size pieces)
1/4 Cup  diced onions
1/4 Cup  diced celery
2   Tablespoons of cooked crumbled bacon
1   Italian sausage (about 1/2 cup)(casing removed) (hot or mild your choice)
1   Clove of Garlic (minced)
1  T. olive oil
3 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Cup of Whipping Cream (light or heavy)
2 T. butter (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Prepare ingredients, set aside.  In medium pot, add olive oil, then garlic, onion, celery, and bacon.  Saute til veggies are tender, (about 3 minutes), add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, but still firm.  ( about 8 to 10 minutes,do not over cook)  Add cream, butter, salt and pepper, stir and then simmer til warm.


Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top, a sprinkle of crumbled bacon, and/or diced green onions.

Optional additions: 1 Cup Corn (frozen, or canned) OR
                                 3/4 Cup of Chopped Kale or Spinach
Add these optional ingredients when you add the cream.


No comments: